Please tell me it is almost Friday! This morning, as I got up and went about my morning routine and tried to make myself a cup of coffee in the Keurig, I made the coffee, however I seemed to have forgotten to put the cup under the Keurig. Thankfully I realized after about half the cup brewed, so here I am 1/2 a cup of coffee later…plugging away! I usually only like to have 1 cup of coffee or else I get shaky, but today, I may need 1.5…
Anyways, working in dermatology, I like trying everything and anything on my face because I think it’s fun. Sometimes I end up regretting my love for experimenting, but I still continue to do it. That being said, here are my Top 5 favorite items that I use and love although they are a little more expensive then my go to (Neutrogena!!!!).
- Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream- $39 (http://www.sephora.com/camera-ready-bb-cream-spf-35-P300339)- I don’t know what it is about this BB Cream that I love, but I just always feel satisfied with the coverage, the level of moisturization, and the shades they offer. I also love that it has SPF 35, which is higher than some of the others I have tried. I like to apply it with a brush- I feel like it goes on evenly and without streaks with this approach.
- Trish McEvoy Beta Hydroxy Pads Daily Exfoliator-$65 (http://www.trishmcevoy.com/p-103-beta-hydroxy-pads-daily-exfoliator.aspx)- Prior to getting married I went to the Trish McEvoy counter in Bloomingdales to have my eyebrows shaped and the girl who did my eyebrows was telling me how wonderful these are. After finishing my brows, she used these and then put a moisturizer on top and I just loved the way it made my skin feel and it took off the flaky top layer of my skin that was driving me crazy every morning when I was trying to do my makeup. These are definitely a splurge but I only use 1 or 2 per week at night after cleansing, so I think they are okay to splurge on!
- Sumadan- $ depends on insurance coverage (http://www.medimetriks.com/prescription-brands/sumadan-kit-sumadan-wash)- This is a prescription face wash that I use that I think is worth the money. I use this at night and it really helps to reduce my breakouts and also helps when my skin is flaky and dry looking. I have Rosacea, so it helps treat this, but I also just love the way it has changed my skin to be more smooth and provides a more even surface to apply makeup to. You would obviously need to find out from a Board-Certified Dermatologist if this is something that would help your skin, but I can honestly say it has helped my sensitive, acne prone skin immensely!
- Josie Marin 100% Pure Argan Oil- $48 (http://www.sephora.com/100-percent-pure-argan-oil-P218700)- I love this stuff. One of the girls that works in one of my offices told me that she applies it after cleansing and before moisturizing and she saw a dramatic difference in her skin. I decided to give it a shot, since I like experimenting and I can honestly say this stuff rocks. I has made my cheeks smoother and it just makes my face feel softer overall. It is definitely worth the money. One tip, that one of my late dermatologists used to always tell me is to take your time applying products, wash your face with cleanser, apply the next product- then wait a few minutes (brush your teeth or do something else you need to do) then after a few minutes of letting that product seep into the skin, apply your moisturizer.
- Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pores-$25 (http://www.sephora.com/clear-improvement-active-charcoal-mask-to-clear-pores-P297524?keyword=ORIGINS%20Clear%20Improvement™%20Active%20Charcoal%20Mask%20To%20Clear%20Pores%20P297524&skuId=1375773&_requestid=44540)- This is one of those products that I kind of use when I can because I always forget to use it, but when I do, I love it!!! I really think it works well to clear your pores out and make you feel refreshed. I try to use it on Sundays, so I can start the week with clear pores!
Anyways, these are 5 of my favorite splurge items. I also love that some of the items are sold in smaller sizes, so that you can start small and see what your skin thinks. I always think it is important to apply a moisturizer, even if you are “oily.” Lastly, don’t try to completely change your regimen in one week. If you do, and you have a reaction, it will be near impossible to figure out what your skin is reacting to. Introduce one new product each week and give yourself a good 3 week trial before you pass judgement. What are some of your favorite splurge items?!
Thanks for reading and have a fun day 🙂
Here is my picture of the day…