This is by far the BEST chocolate cake I have ever had in my life!!! My sister made it from the Mast Brothers Chocolate Family Cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/Mast-Brothers-Chocolate-Family-Cookbook/dp/0316234842) and ever since, we keep telling her that she has to make it for every family gathering. My sister and I got this cookbook for Christmas a few years ago from our cousin, who is married to Michael Mast, one of the Mast Brothers. I absolutely love this cookbook because there are beautiful pictures on each page, along with an easy to follow recipe. It drives me nuts when recipes don’t have pictures because I like to see what the end result should look like! When it comes to chocolate, I am certainly no connoisseur, but I have tasted chocolate that I do not like before and it has not been from Mast Brothers 🙂 I definitely prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate. My favorite Mast Brothers Bars are the Sea Salt and the Black Truffle, Dan’s favorite is the Vanilla Smoke and the actual chocolate truffles. The next on my list to try is the Almond Butter Bar!! You can check out some of their options here: http://mastbrothers.com/collections/all. If you are looking for a gift for someone that enjoys cooking or enjoys the looks of a pretty cookbook for their kitchen the Mast Brothers Chocolate Family Cookbook is a great gift!!!
Now to the recipe…this is their Minnesota Fudge Cake…YUM!!!! They describe it as a “heartwarming cake for a cold winter’s night,” love that!
You will need:
(For the Cake)
- 2.5 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1.25 cups of Granulated Sugar
- .75 cups of Brown Sugar
- 1 cup of Cocoa Powder
- 2.25 teaspoons of Baking Soda
- 1.5 teaspoons of Sea Salt
- 2.25 cups of Buttermilk
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 2 Eggs
- 6 ounces of Dark Chocolate, chopped
(For the Fudge Sauce)
- 4 ounces of Dark Chocolate, chopped
- .25 cup (half of a stick) of Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups of Confectioners’ Sugar
- .5 cup of water
Make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix flour, both sugars, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, butter, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Whisk until incorporated.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler and add to mixture.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake for 40 minutes.
Make the Fudge Sauce:
- Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and water and whisk until smooth.
- Pour evenly over cooled cake.
Try not to eat the whole cake in one sitting…haha!
I also found this variation on line where this blogger used the Mast Brothers Recipe and made a Salted Peanut Butter Glaze (YUM!) Here is her recipe: http://www.butterandbrioche.com/minnesota-fudge-cake-with-salted-peanut-butter-glaze/ I am definitely going to try this salted peanut butter glaze!!
Baking is definitely not my strong point, (I often burn things..) but I am continuing to practice, so hopefully one of these days it will just click.
If you try this recipe, send pictures of how it turns out!!! I can promise you it is delicious!!
Thanks for reading and have a fun day 🙂
Here is my picture of the day…
This is the picture directly from the book, and now I would like to eat this cake for breakfast…