This is a recipe I tried for Christmas Eve and it was super easy and very delicious!!! I found the recipe on my new favorite recipe site Skinnytaste! Skinnytaste.com has a lot of recipes that are lower in fat or healthier, but still delicious. This is probably the third or fourth recipe I have tried from this site, I highly recommend checking it out! The recipe I am going to share today is for Picadillo. It was super easy to make and delicious even as a leftover! Here is the link to the actual recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/crock-pot-picadillo.html (SkinnyTaste has lots of great pictures if you want to see pictures of each step)!
- 2 1/2 lbs 93% lean ground beef
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup alcaparrado (manzanilla olives, pimientos, capers) or green olives- *I found this over by the olives by the taco kits at the grocery store*
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- Brown meat in a large deep skillet on medium-high heat; season with generously with salt and a little pepper. Use a spoon to break the meat up into small pieces. When meat is no longer pink, drain all the liquid from pan. Add the onions, garlic and bell peppers to the meat and cook an addition 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to the slow cooker, then add tomato, cilantro, tomato sauce, 1 1/4 cups water, alcaparrado (or olives) [I usually add some of the brine from the jar for added flavor] then add the spices.
- Set slow cooker to HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8. After it’s ready, taste for salt and add more as needed [I added a little more cumin and garlic powder at the end as well since the crock pot tends to mute the flavors of herbs and spices]. Discard the bay leaves and serve over brown rice.
Thank you for the yummy recipe SkinnyTaste.com!!! Hope you try this out for an easy dinner one night this week!
Thanks for reading and have a fun day 🙂
Here is my picture of the day (borrowed from SkinnyTaste):