So as most of you know I took a trip over President’s Weekend to Key West, FL. This was my first time in Key West and I really loved it! It was a quirky place, with an interesting crowd, but we had lots of fun exploring and enjoying the nice weather. There are a few different ways to get there, we opted to fly from Newark to Fort Lauderdale then switched planes to a prop plane and after about 35 minutes we landed in sunny Key West! One of our friends Trish was already down near Fort Meyers, so she took a ferry from Fort Meyers to Key West. The other option is to drive. When I was down in Miami for the AAD meeting a few years ago, one of my coworkers drove down after the meeting. It is about 3.5 hours to drive from Miami to Key West. If I were visiting again, I would like to try the drive because you get to drive through a few of the other Keys and I think it would be fun. Also, you can drink on the street in Key West, which is kind of nice if you order a drink and then your friends decide they are ready to venture off to a new bar…who doesn’t like a good road soda?! So, with that here are my favorite places (mostly food related) that we visited in Key West:
- Shrimp Po’ Boy at Caroline’s (https://www.yelp.com/biz/carolines-key-west) We got to Key West a little after lunch time, so we were all pretty hungry from our travels. We went over to Caroline’s to grab some lunch as it was right near our house’s realty office. I got the Shrimp Po’ Boy and it was SO good. It was certainly fried and not healthy but it was just so good. I think it was one of my favorite meals in Key West…
- Kermit’s Key Lime Pie Shoppe (https://www.yelp.com/biz/kermits-key-west-key-lime-shoppe-key-west-3) If you can’t already tell, our trip to Key West was definitely not the healthiest haha. We kept walking by Kermit’s Key Lime Pie Shoppe and every day I wanted to try the Key Lime Pie. Finally right before I was heading to the airport to go home, I stopped and grabbed a slice of Key Lime Pie. It was so yummy…I highly recommend it if you like Key Lime Pie!!!
- Sloppy Joes (https://www.yelp.com/biz/sloppy-joes-bar-key-west?osq=sloppy+joes) We didn’t eat here, but we went out here after dinner one night. They had a really good cover band and it was pretty open, so it never really felt too over crowded. This was probably my favorite “bar” that we went to…
- Dante’s Pool (https://www.yelp.com/biz/dantes-restaurant-and-pool-bar-key-west) Dante’s Pool Bar was nice because it was a change from going to the beach every day. The day we went, Sunday, was not super busy. My friend Katherine, who had previously visited Key West said that the last time she went to Dante’s, it was very busy. There are a very limited amount of chairs, so if you do go, I would recommend going early. It’s a little interesting location and definitely off the beaten path, but I liked going to Dante’s. It was nice because you did not have to pay to get into the pool area, which I thought we would have to. They had a full bar, lots of food options, and bathrooms to use throughout the day. This was the only place in Key West where the waitress didn’t ask to split our bill, everywhere else was really nice and usually offered to split the bill before we even asked, however our waitress here acted annoyed when I asked to pay my portion because I was leaving to go to the airport. I was standing near the register when she split it and it literally took 2 seconds, some people are just so lazy it drives me crazy. As a former waitress, it really isn’t a big deal to split a check, it just takes more time…The absolute best part of Dante’s was the manatee that we got to see off the dock. He was SO cute and huge and he loved drinking out of the hose. It was cracking me up. I will try to upload the video of him at some point!
- Southernmost Beach (https://www.yelp.com/biz/southernmost-beach-resort-key-west) I loved this beach, although keep in mind it is small, so you should get there relatively early. The nice thing about it is it is right off the resort, and the resort lets you use the restaurant, bathrooms, and bar while you are there. This was a quick walk from the house we rented which was so nice. We were able to eat/drink while sitting on our beach chairs, which made us enjoy the day. If you prefer to sit at a table or the bar to eat, you can–also nice if you need a break from the strong sun. It always makes me laugh when I go to other states and enjoy their pretty beaches because in NJ you have to pay to go on the beach and often times there aren’t bathrooms or food nearby…Anyways, the other thing that is nice about the Southernmost Beach Resort is that they have beach chairs, umbrellas and regular chairs for rent so you do not have to carry a chair from your house. They set up your spot for the day…and probably make a killing off your rentals!
- Latitudes (https://www.yelp.com/biz/latitudes-key-west-3) This restaurant screamed engagement. Our waitress actually told us there is usually at least one engagement here per night, sometimes multiple. It was on Sunset Key, so you actually have to take a boat from Key West to Sunset Key. It is a small ferry boat and took like 10 minutes. It was very quick. If you go, try to ask for a table outside with a nice view of the sunset. The sunsets in Key West were so pretty! The only thing was it was pretty windy and got pretty chilly once the sun set, so if you are going in the January/February time be sure to bring a jacket and wear pants.
There were a lot of places we didn’t get a chance to visit because we were only there for a couple days. I was only there for 2 full days, with Thursday and Sunday being travel days for me. I felt like we still got to see a lot of Key West and made the most of our time there. It was a great get-a-way to celebrate my friends’ 30th birthdays! I would definitely recommend visiting at least once in your life!
Thanks for reading and have a fun day 🙂
Here is my picture of the day…