I saw this amazing post on Facebook from Robin Roberts and she said she believes “optimism is a muscle that gets stronger with use,” and I just can’t stop thinking about it. It was such a great way to look at optimism and made me realize and reflect a lot.
A few weeks ago, I was having a conversation with a very close friend of mine regarding some recent struggles and the conversation really stuck with me. This friend has been through a very rough few years, and she expressed to me that she can’t remember the last time she called me with good news. It really hit me hard and made me so sad for my friend. Her and I were also talking one day about religion and I said I just found hope in the struggling times to think that there is a bigger plan for me out there, somewhere that maybe I don’t understand on my bad day, but later I would be able to make more sense of it and she replied that she has just decided and tried her hardest to practice gratitude. I just loved this idea and was so impressed that my friend was able to focus her energy through her struggles on gratitude. She, of course, said it isn’t always easy, but it has helped her and honestly it really helped me for her to share this idea, so that is why I am sharing it with all of you. Even if I can only reach one person today, my hope is that if you find yourself struggling you will find some time to practice gratitude.
Being the over thinker that I am, I wanted to really explore how to practice gratitude. I love lists, they make me happy and make me feel more organized. I am going to brainstorm aloud or publicly on here with the things in my life I am currently grateful for, and I would challenge you to write or type your list too, and maybe hang it on your fridge or somewhere you often pass by, as a reminder in the tough times. So here is mine:
I’m grateful for:
- My husband and my daughter- they are my everyday and always make me a better person
- My dog Thor- he is my sweet companion, always challenging my patience but reminding me that sometimes it’s nice to just take a short walk around the block and breath in some fresh air
- My sister who also falls into the next category-she is my number one cheerleader, forgives me at my worst, my number one mama friend with tons of advice, and a badass working mom who shows me how to lead, grow, and make an impact in an organization
- My family- they are fiercely loyal, always supportive, and make me confident in who I am as a person
- My in-laws and extended in-law family or “in-loves” as Dan’s aunt calls them- they have accepted me into their family even though I have strong opinions, values and family traditions that are unique and important for me to carry on
- Our friends- we have a pretty amazing group of friends both far and near. I just love doing life with them, having impactful conversations, and laughing until I almost pee in my pants
- My home and all of the memories that live inside- it is the first home my husband and I bought together and one we will always cherish
- My career and my future job that I will be starting in April- I always love creating my own successes, growing businesses, and seeing results
- My car- it’s been a very comfortable way to get us all around to create more memories and get the most out of our lives and our everyday
- My daughter’s school- the teachers and staff are just so amazing, creative, imaginative and have been so supportive while I looked for a new job. I will never forget their kindness
- Our sweet and beautiful town and community- it’s just the best and such a great transition from our previous Hoboken life
- My health and my body- I am grateful for being able to sustain a little life inside of me and that I am able to stay healthy and continue to attempt to keep up with her
- This blog and my new little Instagram family- I love being able to connect with a variety of people and hope to make an impact on their lives, even if it’s just a small one!
- Pictures- I just love pictures, they make me happy and remind me of the best times
- My strength- both physically and mentally, always working on both though
- My new gym membership- I hope it continues to challenge me
- My iPhone- I love that it allows me to quickly connect with people, take tons of pictures and videos, and organize my life
- Coffee- gosh it’s my favorite way to wake up in the morning and always makes me happier haha
- Trader Joe’s- I just love this place, it makes it easier for me to eat healthy, explore new cuisines and grocery shop with a smile on my face
- Sweatshirts & Sweatpants- they are basically my husband and my uniform. We love being comfy.
I’m sure I could go on for days, but I like the number 20 and I think I will stop there. I may come back from time to time and add some things, but for now I’m happy with where this list is at!
I think I may print it and hang it somewhere to make me laugh. Not sure where yet. Where will you hang yours?
In closing, I will say, I hope this helped you as much as it helped me. My favorite quote is from Taylor Swift and she said it at one of her concerts. I’m not going to put quotes around it because I’m not sure if it was exactly what she said but it was what I got out of what she said. She basically said when you’re going through a tough time, don’t go on social media, you’re looking at someone else’s highlight reel while you’re not happy with your life and what could be worse. I challenge you the next time you feel like you’re in a not so great place to sit down grab a pen and paper or open up the notes app on your phone and just start listing everything your grateful for, it may take a while, and that is great, because it means there are so many things that are going well in your life. Let’s focus our energy on those things instead of the not so great things.
I hope you all have an amazing week.
Practice Gratitude 💗